This 12,000 resident city (incorporated in 1985) is on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River, 25 km north east of downtown Edmonton. It was established as a fort by the Northwest Mounted Police in 1875, with the expectation the trans-continental railway would be built through here, until the route was decided through Calgary and the Kicking Horse Pass, not through the Yellowhead Pass.
The fort was transferred to Edmonton in 1913 and the original NWMP fort was demolished.
Business listings for Fort Saskatchewan
Fort Saskatchewan Museum and Historic Site
10104 101st St
The Museum includes nine historic buildings including a pioneer home, doctor's residence, courthouse, one-room schoolhouse, church and a blacksmith shop. A 1909 courthouse serves as the main museum building and includes clothing and documents relating to the area's history. On display are a vintage firetruck, antique cars, carriages and farm equipment. Allow 1 hour.
The museum is open daily between July and August from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. the rest of the year. Admission fee.