Edmonton Getting a Business Licence

A business license indicates to your customers that you have met the City's licensing requirements. Some professions are exempt for City business licensing (phone 496-3100 for more info). If you need a City business license, you can apply in person, online or by mail (but not by phone). When you pay for the license notice amount, your application will be processed.

Your license application may be sent to other departments such as the Capital Health, Police and Fire for review. After all departments approve your application, your business license will be mailed. The license must be displayed in the premises.

5th floor 10250-101 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3P4

All businesses in the City of Edmonton are required to pay business tax. Check with Business Assessment (City of Edmonton, Corporate Services) at 496-6388

Some of these departments or agencies may need to inspect your premises as part of the licensing process. Some businesses need to be inspected on an on-going or annual basis.

Some businesses that do not have a premises or location need to be licensed, including direct sellers, hawkers, tradesmen, entertainers, food services.

The cost of the license is based on the cost of performing the appropriate inspections and approvals (not on the square feet occupied or invested capital). If the business owns real property (buildings or land), it will also have to pay property taxes which support city operations and public schools. You may also have to pay business taxes on your business premises, on top of your property taxes. These taxes are based on property valuation, and if you are a tenant of the premises (rather than the owner) your allocation, if so provided for in the lease, is based on the square feet you occupy or lease.

If you move, you need to re-apply for a new license and get all the appropriate approvals. If you sell your business, then the new owners must re-apply for their license and obtain their own approvals since licenses are not transferable. License fees are not refundable.

Other New Business Issues
Trade names are not registered with the city but with Alberta Municipal Affairs (427-4088). You do not need be incorporated for a business license, but should check with your lawyer or accountant if there are other reasons to do so. To incorporate a business contact Alberta Municipal Affairs (297-3442). You can pick up forms for these at: 9945 - 50 Street NW
3rd Floor, Capilano Centre
T6A 0L4

You should also get a Business Identification Number (BIN) from Revenue Canada, which is also your GST number (no expenses qualify for a GST refund until you have a number!!). If you expect gross revenues over $30,000 you are required to collect and remit GST, and need a BIN number. Call Reveneue Canada at 495-5400 or visit them at:

9700 Jasper Avenue
Main Flr, Canada Place
T5J 4C8

Edmonton Government Search:  

Government Search Form...