Edmonton Nearby: Camrose
Camrose has 13,000 resisdents and is the market centre for a rich farming district southeast of Edmonton. A mission and a trading post were established by Father Bellevarie along the Battle River, about six miles south of Camrose, in an area now known as Duhamel. The trading post was built on the North West Mounted Police Trail between Edmonton to Regina. The original 1893 Mission Church has been restored as an historical site. Camrose was settled after 1900 by large numbers of Norwegians. The city is now home to the Augustana University College at 4901 - 46 Ave.
Originally the Hamlet of Sparling, the town was renamed Camrose in 1906 to avoid confusion with similarly named communities. The name was from the town of Camrose in Pembrokeshire in Wales. Camrose became a city in 1955.
Annual events include: Jaywalkers Jamboree (first weekend in June) with midway, carnival rides, entertainment, the Great Canadian Chile Cookoff, and The Big Valley Jamboree with country music's biggest acts (first weekend in August).
Business listings for Camrose
Camrose & District Centennial Museum
53 St & 46 Ave., 2 blocks south of Highway 13
(780) 672-3298 in-season or (780) 672-5457 out-of-season.
This museum features several restored and furnished buildings including a log cabin, the Mission Church, a country school, a fire hall and a newspaper. Various historical implements and machines are on display including a steam engine and a threshing machine. Open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Victoria Day through Labour Day.
Alberta's Littlest Airport
22km E of town on Hwy 13, then 4 km S on Kelsey Rd
This airport is built for radio-controlled model airplanes, and features several runways.Open noon to 8 p.m. Wednesday to Sunday from June to August. The "Fun Flies" celebrations are held on the last weekends of May and June.