Edmonton Nearby: Beaumont
[ Back to map of Edmonton area towns ]
Beaumont has 5,700 residents, about 15 kilometres southeast of Edmonton on secondary highway 814 (50th Street). The area was first settled in 1895, but the town was built around 1919, following the construction of an area church. The St. Vital Roman Catholic Church was built on top of the "beautiful hill," giving Beaumont its name. Many early settlers to the Leduc are were French-speaking from Ontario and Quebec, attracted to the good farmland and proximity to a good priest, since the parish of Beaumont had neither a railroad or coal mine.
The town's downtown is developed with a French village theme, with red brick sidewalks, steep roofs, interesting building materials, and french-style details like dormers, window bars, canopies and shutters. The town's recreation is centered around the 51 acre Four Seasons Park/Parc Quatre Saisons complete with a recreational/trout pond, day use areas, playing fields, picnic sites and pathways.
This town hosts the annual Town & Country Daze (mid-June) with a parade, a soapbox derby, a slow-pitch tournament, a dance and cultural events.
Town info: http://www.agt.net/public/beaumont/
Business listings for Beaumont
St. Vital Roman Catholic Church
This church was built in 1919 and is the reason for the town's existence. In 1995, the town celebrated its 100th birthday. The town of Beaumont's downtwon extends around "the Church on the hill."