In the 1870s more people began to settle around Fort Edmonton, after the government offered the land to settlers at a good price. Edmonton had 700 residents in 1892, when it officially became a town. The city boomed during the Klondike Gold Rush of 1897, as thousands of eager prospectors heading north, via the "All Canadian Route," stopped in Edmonton for supplies.
Many people settled in Edmonton permanently and by 1904 Edmonton had 9,000 residents. It became incorporated as a city and a year later was declared the provincial capital.
In 1912, Edmonton on the north side of the river and the town of Strathcona on the south amalgamated with a combined population over 53,000. The High Level Bridge was completed in 1913, creating another link between the north and south sides of Edmonton. The elegant Hotel Macdonald was completed in 1915.
In the 1930s, Edmonton continued to thrive as a northern business centre, and an aviation shipping point for food and medical supplies using the new bush planes. In 1942, the construction of the Alaska Highway made the city became a major ground transportation and supply centre to the far north. Edmonton officially became known as "Gateway to the North."
More history of Edmonton